How to Improve Your Well-Being in Just 2 Weeks by Eating More Fruits and Vegetables
We all know how important fruits and vegetables are for us from both health and fitness perspectives. But did you know you could significantly boost your overall well-being by consuming more veggies and fruits?
A study made by Dr. Tamlin Conner, at the University of Otago, New Zealand, has proven the fact that increasing your vegetables and fruits consumption might actually lead to better health and well-being in only a couple of weeks.
This research was held, as you might guess, for two consecutive weeks, and young adults were given extra portions of vegetables and fruits each day. The results have shown that, at the end of this period, the people involved showed signs of boosted vitality and motivation.
How Was Everything Organized in the Study?
We are about to provide moreminsights regarding this study and the way its health and fitness goals were accomplished. The researchers selected 171 young adults with ages between 18 and 25 and they split them into three different categories, as it follows:
- The first group was left unchanged. In otherwords, these people continued their normal eating behavior;
- The second group was constantly encouraged andresearchers used to send these people regular reminders and even pre-paidvouchers to encourage the group to eat more fruits and vegetables;
- The third and last group was probably the mostadvantageous one because people in this group were given two additional dailyservings of veggies and fruits like apples, carrots, and oranges.
The Results of the Study
As you might expect, when it comes to health and fitness, the best results were achieved by the last group which reported notable results. For example, people from this group have shown improvements related to their vitality, motivation, and overall well-being.
Both health and fitness aspects are impacted by what you eat. If you consume mostly sugars, fats, and carbohydrates, your body will soon start to react in a negative way. Don’t get me wrong! Fats are good as long as you eat small portions and choose the good type of fats such as the ones sourced from salmon, nuts, and other natural whole foods.
Benefits and Reasons for Eating More Fruits and Vegetables
- They lower the risk of heart conditions,obesity, and other chronic diseases;
- Fruits and vegetables contain fiber which islinked to a lower blood sugar level and lower cholesterol;
- They reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes;
- Because fruits and vegetables don’t contain alot of calories, consuming them more often might lead to lower overall calorieintake which further leads to weight loss, hence improved health and fitness levels;
- Almost all veggies and fruits have a low contentof sodium and fat. Also, they are cholesterol free which means that everybodycan safely eat them, even people with special eating regimens;
- Also related to health and fitness, but mostlyto the fitness part, is the fact that fruits and vegetables are rich in fiberwhich keeps your stomach fuller for a longer period of time. This means that you will don’t feel the sensation of hunger for hours so make sure to include these whole foods in your dieting plan;
- These foods are an excellent source of folicacid which is a crucial element for all people, especially for pregnant women.Folic acid lowers the chances of birth defects, especially during the first trimester when the baby is developing.
Fruits and veggies can be found in a wide range of flavors, colors, and textures and they can be consumed raw or slightly cooked. However, we don’t recommend you to prepare these foods all the time because, during preparation, some of their vitamins and minerals are lost.
How to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables, Especially If You’re Not a Fan
- Make them easily accessible. Keep a bowl full offruits on your coffee table;
- Aim for convenience. Make sure you take pre-cutveggies and fruits at your workplace;
- Consume fruits instead of sweets for dessert;
- Make them look appealing. Use special shapes tocut them in a fun way.
Summing It Up
The study mentioned above is the first one of its kind that shows in a clear manner how good are fruits and vegetables for our health and fitness levels. Moreover, it is recommended to consume both fruits and vegetables that come from whole foods and without cooking them in any way.
If you’re concerned about your health and fitness levels, you should include more portions of fruits and veggies per day because they are a crucial part of any well-balanced diet.