Have you just started to live independently in your own house? Maybe you never used the kitchen much, so you are unsure which items you should buy to cook. This is something that happens to a lot of people. There are a lot of young people that don’t know which items to buy. That’s why our kitchen essentials list will be so helpful to you.
A kitchen essentials list will make your life easier. Buying the necessary tools will save you a lot of money. Our kitchen essentials list will benefit you if you don’t want to spend a lot of money, especially starting. Many items are not very important, and with our kitchen essentials list, you will know what to buy. Follow our kitchen essentials list if you don’t want to buy a useless item.
What are the Kitchen Essentials?
These are kitchen equipment that is used to prepare ingredients, hold food, cook, and bake food. They are basic things which every kitchen needs to have and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some of the kitchen essentials are used before, during, or after cooking/baking.
The Basic List of Kitchen Essentials For Beginners
Not everybody will have to use the same tools when it comes to the kitchen. Depending on the recipes, you know whether you will use a lot of tools or not. A chef will not use the same items as a beginner. As a result of this, your kitchen essentials list will be much shorter. If you are a beginner, you don’t need an extensive kitchen essentials list.
When you are trying to build a kitchen essentials list, you should stick to the basics. Only by doing this will you have everything you need in your kitchen for a low price. For instance, if you buy precise tools, you won’t have any money for essential items that are more versatile.
Preparation Tools and Essential for Kitchen
The first thing that you should get in your kitchen essentials list is the preparation tools. Without preparation tools, you couldn’t even start cooking. There are a lot of recipes, for example, salads, that only use preparation tools. So, even if you only have these on your kitchen essentials list, you will be capable of cooking some basic meals.
1. Cutting Boards: Perhaps one of the essential items in your kitchen essentials list is a cutting board. It is necessary to have good cutting boards that will last a very long time. A good cutting board will give the best results. Have more than one to separate raw food from cooked food.
2. Salad Spinner: This is another tool that will be very useful in your kitchen. If you are a salad lover, you will use this item a lot. More healthy foods will be done by this tool. If you want to have a good salad, this is one of those essential kitchen utensils that you should have.
3. Mixing Bowls: The great majority of recipes involve mixing something at some point. It is essential to have a tool in your kitchen essentials list that will let you mix anything. Mixing bowls are very versatile and will help you on many occasions. You can get it in any essential kitchen store.
4. Chef’s Knife: We believe that this is an essential tool that you should have. “Dull knives are prone to sliding around on slick produce, and they require greater applied force to cut effectively.” With a chef’s knife, on the other hand, you can have more precise slices. So this is the knife that we recommend on our kitchen essentials list.
5. Bread Knife: We have already told you about the chef’s knife and how it can help you in many situations. But another essential knife for the kitchen essentials list is the bread knife. If you are someone that eats a lot of bread, this knife will be handy. This knife will perfectly cut bread.
6. Knife Sharpener: Every person that likes to cook knows the importance of having a well-sharpened knife. A knife that is not well sharpened won’t give you good results. That’s why this is an essential item in our kitchen essentials list. There are few basic kitchen tools more important than this one.
7. Colander: If you are a pasta lover, this is one of the essential kitchen appliances that you will use the most. This is a tool that had to be on our kitchen essentials list. It is a tool that will drain the pasta that you are making in the best way possible. Not having a colander will be a huge problem.
8. Potato Masher: Potato is one of the most tasteful things in the world. On top of this, you can eat it in a lot of ways. One prevalent way is to mash it. This essential kitchen tool can be used to do so. Mashed potatoes will make all of your meals better. So it would be best if you bought a potato masher.
9. Whisk: This is a tool that not many people take into consideration for their kitchen essentials list. We can assure you that it will be very used by you if you buy it. A whisk “is perfect for whisking together salad dressings, sauces, eggs, desserts, and much more.”.
10. Can Opener: Have you ever tried to open a can without a can opener? It is nearly impossible. We strongly recommend you buy a good can opener and you won’t have any problem with another can. If you buy a lot of food in cans, this should be part of your kitchen essentials list.
11. Vegetable Peeler: Are you someone that regularly eats vegetables and needs a tool to help you peel them. Vegetables will taste better peeled by a vegetable peeler. Your salads will taste way better, and you won’t waste a lot of vegetables. So you should have it with your essential kitchen appliances.
12. Grater: If you ever had a lousy grater, you should know how annoying it can be. Therefore, you should always try to buy a good one. A grater will let you add more flavor to the food. So it is a critical part of your kitchen essentials list. A good grader “can grate citrus, fine, coarse, ultra-coarse, parmesan, shave, slice and even has a ginger grater.”
13. Juicer: We all know how annoying it can be to try and get the juice out of a lemon or an orange without a juicer. A juicer is an essential part of your basic list of kitchen essentials. Getting juice out of fruit won’t be difficult with the right juicer. You can even get one with measurements.
14. Measuring Spoons: Following a recipe is something that is not always easy. However, you should do it if you want the best results. Knowing the correct measurement will be easy with measuring spoons. They should be part of everybody’s kitchen essentials list.
15. Measuring Cups: If you have a lot of experience cooking, measuring cups won’t be handy. However, if you are inexperienced, you should follow our kitchen essentials list and buy them. They are essential kitchen tools.
16. Wooden Spoons: These are the best type of spoons for cooking. You can be sure that you won’t damage your cookware with them. If you want to follow our kitchen essentials list, you should buy them. “These spoons are great for stirring sauces, sauteing, and general cooking purposes.”
Cookware & Bakeware
Preparation tools won’t be capable of helping you with every recipe that you need. There are a lot of meals that need other items. That’s why our kitchen essentials list has some best cookware and bakeware items. For instance, if you want to make bread, you will need some of these items. Having these tools will make your kitchen essentials list more complete.
1. Sheet Pans: One item that can’t be left out of the kitchen essentials list is the sheet pan. The best foods are only possible by this tool. In addition, they are effortless to use. You have to put it in the oven and wait until it’s cooked. For instance, crop some vegetables and put them in the sheet pan, and they will cook.
2. Nonstick Pan: We have told you about the sheet pan. However, this won’t be capable of helping you with many foods. For example, pancakes can only be made with a nonstick pan. Therefore, they should be on our kitchen essentials list. They are one of the essential kitchen utensils.
3. 3-Quart Saucepan: If you want to make a sauce or a soup, you can buy it. The saucepan very well makes liquid foods. We believe that in a kitchen essentials list, there should be a 3-quart saucepan. It is effortless to use. After that, it was cleaning it won’t be difficult.
4. Large Pot: If you have many guests, you will want to use a large pot. We love the large pot due to the variety of uses it has. The most versatile cookware is a large pot. It should be part of the best cookware set. That’s the reason it should be in our kitchen essentials list. “This large pot is perfect for cooking pasta, large dishes, or even for making your broth.”
5. Cast Iron Skillet: Your meat will be perfectly cooked by the cast iron skillet. If you love meat, then it should be on your kitchen essentials list. “There’s no better tool for guaranteeing you get a perfect sear on your meat.” So, if you believe that you will cook a lot of meat, don’t think twice and buy it.
6. Grill Pan: We believe that the grill pan is the perfect replacement for a barbeque. It can do the same and with much less effort. It is excellent to cook burgers or a steak, so it is on our kitchen essentials list.
7. Muffin Pan: Are you planning on throwing a party? Then having a muffin pan is a must. It is part of the best bakery set. It will allow you to make many muffins at once. Few tools are better for muffins than a simple muffin pan.
8. Casserole Dish: If you don’t want to waste a lot of time cooking, this tool is perfect. The casserole dish is part of our kitchen essentials list. Not only will you have a delicious meal, but you don’t have to put a lot of effort into it. You can just put your lasagne in the oven, and it will cook.
9. Broiler Pan: It is like a regular pan, but it is much thicker. In addition, it has a draining part that will contain all the liquids, like the fat. This is very helpful because it will be much easier to clean. You can decide whether you need it in your kitchen essentials list or not.
10. Stockpot: We believe that if you already have a large pot, this won’t be necessary. Most meals can be made with a large pot. But if you want another great option to cook pasta or other meals, a stockpot is helpful. If you think that you will use it, add it to your kitchen essentials list.
Cooking Tools & Kitchen Utensils
There are some other items that you should have in your kitchen essentials list. Better meals will be done thanks to these tools. In this section of our kitchen essentials list, you will learn about some tools that will be necessary. For example, you wouldn’t be capable of using your oven without oven mitts.
1. Spatula: Slices of food can be easily removed by a spatula. This is an essential part of any kitchen essentials list. It is not always easy to lift portions of food with a knife. On the other hand, a spatula will be handy for those situations. However, you should buy one that is easy to clean.
2. Slotted Spoon: A slotted spoon will be the best option if you want to remove something from the pan. In addition, it will leave all of the liquids in the pan. It is similar to the wooden spoon. However, this one is best for cooking anything with liquids. That’s why it’s on our kitchen essentials list.
3. Trivet: One thing you should always avoid is putting hot pots on your table. As a consequence of doing this, your table will burn a little. On the other hand, if you use them, your table won’t suffer any damage. You can get any trivet for our kitchen essentials list.
4. Oven Mitts: As everybody knows, oven mitts will keep your hands from burning. However, bad mitts won’t be very heath absorbent and won’t be helpful. For our kitchen essentials list, we recommend you to buy good oven mitts.
5. Splatter Guard: A splatter guard is another thing you should own to make your meals better. They are generally not expensive. In addition, they are beneficial and will prevent you from making mistakes.
6. Thermometer: A thermometer is something that every good kitchen essentials list has. Thanks to it, you won’t overcook your food, or your water won’t boil if you don’t want it to.
7. Tongs: Tongs are part of our kitchen essentials list if you love salad or meat. It is effortless to handle. In addition, it will keep you from spilling food everywhere while you are serving.
8. Stirring Spoon: Spoons for stirring are essential items in our kitchen essentials list. After cooking some meals, it will be necessary to stir, and this is the best option. You should choose one that is heat resistant and will be long-lasting.
9. Ladle: This tool is excellent when you are serving a liquid meal, for instance, soup. In those situations, a spoon won’t be helpful. On the other hand, a spoon is longer and is going to save you in those situations. Most importantly, you should choose a long one.
There are some other tools that our kitchen essentials list highly recommends you to have. These are some tools that will let you cook a specific recipe. But without them, you wouldn’t be able to do it. You will be capable of cooking better thanks to these tools. These tools will make more specific recipes; however, they are essential.
1. Immersion Blender: You can use the immersion blender to blend food. Moreover, you don’t have to remove the food from the pot. After that, you will have to clean the immersion blender and the pot. That’s why it’s on our kitchen essentials list.
2. Kitchen Scale: Scales are a priority in our kitchen essentials list. They are very used for measuring food. Subsequently, you will use the right amount of ingredients that the recipe says.
3. Blender with a Steam Valve: This is similar to the immersion blender, but you can use it to make smoothies. This makes it unique if you are a fan of smoothies and similar drinks.
4. Toaster: The toaster is in any basic list of kitchen essentials. Everybody likes to have some toast when they wake up. However, doing it without a toaster is hardly impossible. Meanwhile, a toaster is very easy to use, so it’s on our kitchen essentials list.
Other Kitchen Essentials
To conclude our kitchen essentials list, other tools that we didn’t include before are also necessary. Your kitchen won’t be the same without these tools. You will be impressed by how useful these tools are. You will be saved in a lot of situations by these tools. So, you should try to buy these tools on our kitchen essentials list.
1. Food Containers: You probably won’t eat all of the food you cooked. But don’t worry, you can store them in food containers. They are part of our kitchen essentials list because you can eat the food there when you don’t want to cook.
2. Parchment Paper: If you don’t want to make a mess, parchment papers are for you. In addition, the food won’t stick in it, and it is elementary to use. As a result of these advantages, it’s on our kitchen essentials list.
3. Aluminum Foil: It is a very versatile material so that you can use it in many ways. It would be best if you always had aluminum foil in your kitchen essentials list. So, if you don’t have one, buy it.
4. Towels: Towels are a must-have for your kitchen. Not many people buy the best ones. As a result of this, they have to change them constantly. They are on our kitchen essentials list because they are beneficial for your kitchen.
5. Dish Rack: If you cook, you will have to wash the dishes. As a result of this, you need to dry them. A dish rack will dehydrate your dishes. Drying is critical, so a dish rack is on our kitchen essentials list.
6. Sponges: As we have already said, you should clean your dishes. However, your dishes won’t be very clean unless you use suitable sponges. Getting the best sponges is part of our kitchen essentials list.
7. Small Trash Bags: Cooking many times requires you to throw a lot of packaging away. So having trash bags is very important. If you don’t have much space for a trash bean, you should choose small trash bags for your kitchen essentials list.
8. Trash Bin: Finally, an essential item that goes with your trash bags is a bin. It is necessary to have a comfortable bean that you can open and close. In our kitchen essentials list, we suggest you buy a good one.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we talked about things you should have in your kitchen. If you are starting your kitchen, these items are a must. On the other hand, if you have some, you should buy the ones that you are missing. However, this is our opinion. Perhaps you won’t use all of them, so you have to take into consideration your likes.
It would be best if you thought of what you can cook and the things that you need. Our kitchen essentials list might not be the same as yours. But we believe that if you follow our list, you can cook almost everything. So, if you are not sure which items you should buy, follow our kitchen essentials list!